Wednesday 18 September 2013

Reviving the Runway


As London Fashion week closes, and another begins in Milan, this got me thinking about the fashion events themselves and the high level of competition between the actual shows. It is no longer just about the clothes, styles and models that we see on the runway anymore, but about the performance and atmosphere that accompanies the designs. This element seems to become more graphic as the years and the shows commence, but some brands have created a buzz about their new season collection right from the beginning of their careers. It goes without saying that the two best shows for dramatic impact throughout the industry are Alexander McQueen and Chanel.As an events graduate, I have spent the past four years studying the various different "wow" factors that an events/production theme can use to really signify an individual aspect for the particular event at hand. Personally, I have always concentrated on the fashion industry while others would look at major corporate events and sporting events, and these areas just never appealed to me the way a runway would. I would consider myself a very visual person and if something does not look good I find it very difficult to appreciate it, and this is why I admire shows from McQueen and Chanel because they never fail to impress, shock and amaze with their shows. The one thing that I have noticed is the re-occurring theme of monochrome in the set design, and this shows that you can never underestimate the power of basic colours black and white.





Obscure themes always capture my attention, and both brands have been known for "off the wall" concepts for their shows. One of my favourite McQueen shows consisted of the models playing a game of chess, using their bodies as the actual pieces for the game. His shows are infamous for their dark central themes which are reflected in the dramatic scenery, lighting and objects of the shows. Some of these themes include "The Widows of Culloden", "The girl who lived in a tree" and "Angles & Demons".



Chanel is renowned for its elegance and predominate use of classic black, and their showcases are no different.The use dramatic spacing, lighting and objects is exactly why Chanel, and Alexander McQueen shows stand out and stand the test of time. For an event to be memorable it has not engage feelings with the audience and these are prime examples of outstanding moments that will not be forgotten in fashion history. 




For me, I really enjoy an unusual space/venue for an event to take place, especially for a fashion show. I would love to see more of them taking place in churches, abandoned castles or forests. I know this may all seem very gloomy but if you look at all these best fashion events, the ones that have created an impact, have all taken place in/or have centred around a darker theme, and I find that this really works. Some of the images below are places that I would love to see being used as possible venue spots for fashion shows/presentations. 



Love C X 




No comments:

Post a Comment